Tue. Apr 16th, 2024

We currently have a duct running up our load-bearing wall that goes to the centre bedroom. After thinking about this for a while, we decided to keep the duct in the wall (mostly because we have to keep the wall anyways). However, the duct was in rough shape and needed to be removed.

The duct also has a large opening that was previously covered by drywall, so most of the air travelling upstairs never even had a chance.

After an hour or so, the duct was gone.

We currently have a duct running up our load-bearing wall that goes to the centre bedroom. After thinking about this for a while, we decided to keep the duct in the wall (mostly because we have to keep the wall anyways). However, the duct was in rough shape and needed to be removed.

We then replaced it with a snazzy new 4″ round duct.

It didn’t come without its challenges. It was pretty tight getting the new duct into the original wall vent opening since the new piece was quite different from the old – in shape and size. 

Because the new duct isn’t as large as the original cast-iron vent opening, we spray painted the duct black so that it can’t be seen. Our can of matte black spray paint has done us quite well so far. 

Our final product was a nice, shiny new duct!

We also took the opportunity to replace the cold air return, which was pretty sad and almost falling off. The metal itself was also in rough shape. We bought some sheet metal from the duct store and now have a shiny new return!

Alex and my dad did most of the work on this. I, instead, battled No Frills on a Sunday afternoon ;). All of us should be rewarded for our hardship.

We also found this little guy in the basement. It’s Simon from Alvin and the Chipmunks!

One thought on “Load-Bearing Wall: Part 3 – Replacing Ducts”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *